Florida woman awarded $48M after becoming ill from mold in her condo
A South Florida woman was awarded $48 million after a leaky roof led to mold contamination in her apartment, leaving her with a permanent, debilitating illness, according to court records.
Lynette Jividen, 56, of Plantation, was awarded the money after a Broward County jury met virtually to deliver the verdict, the Sun-Sentinel reported.
The damage award included $10 million for expected future medical costs, more than $1.2 million for past and future lost earnings, and $35 million for loss of capacity to enjoy life, the newspaper reported.
Jividen was diagnosed with chronic inflammatory response syndrome, an ailment that affects the nervous system, digestive system, muscles, joints and the immune system, her attorney, Robert McKee, told the newspaper.
Her condition is permanent, progressive, and in her lawyers’ words, “horrifically disabling.”
Published on May 1, 2021 by FOX23 News.